***NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED***
Saline gargle collection is acceptable in the following circumstances :
1. Place your order online
2. Pick up at our Drive-Thru location
3. Drop off at our Drive-Thru location
4. Expect to receive an email within 24-48 hours with the results.
- Children under the age of 16 who do not tolerate NP, nasal or throat collection.
- To avoid damage/irritation of the nares/nasopharyngeal site where repeated collections are required (e.g workplace screening) or in people with a relative or absolute contraindication to NPS (e.g recent or previous oral/nasal/throat surgery, risk of severe bleeding (generally people on anticoagulation), open wounds in the nasopharynx.
- Adults who are not able to tolerate swab collection for other reasons.
- Where collection devices for routine collection (e.g NPS, MTS, OPS, ANS) are not available
Saline gargle samples should not be collected from symptomatic patients residing in institutional settings (e.g retirement homes or long-term care facility) or hospitalized patients.
Saline gargle should not be used to clear patients for travel or for informing return to work decisions from individuals with laboratory confirmation of COVID-19.
Saline gargle samples will be tested by Dynacare using a real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay that has been validated for this sample type. There are no manufacturer-evaluated Health Canada approved performance claims for saline gargle as a sample type; however, saline gargle has been clinically and technically evaluated and validated for diagnostic testing as a Laboratory Developed Test (LDT) at Dynacare.